Monday, April 11, 2011

Got a Great Idea for a Book?

Pretty much every time I've done a book signing at least one person (usually more) comes up to me and says, "I've got a great idea for a book..."

Each person then proceeds to tell me a bit about his idea. In turn, I encourage him to take the time to develop his idea. After all, I think there is a writer in all of us. We all communicate, therefore, we can all write.

Whether a person is keeping a diary, attempting to put together a short story, or covering a news story for his hometown paper, he's communicating via written word. He's transcribing thoughts or opinions or facts onto his computer, notebook or other writing device. He's writing!

No one knows until she tries whether or not she has the ability to persevere in developing that novel idea into a wonderful book.

So, if a person really, REALLY, wants to see that sparkling idea come to life in a mass of compelling words, she should begin writing today.

I truly do hope that those who've talked with me at past book signings about their ideas for books and those who will talk to me about ideas at future book signings will go on to write wonderful stories, for their sakes and for the sakes of us readers too!

Fran

Fran Shaff, Award-Winning Author
http://sites.google.com/site/fshaff

No comments: